IARC Summer School Frequently Asked Questions
What topics are covered?
o Module 1a – Cancer Survival Methods for Cancer Registries
- Essentials for cancer survival studies in countries in transition: organisation; follow-up coverage; life table methods
- Loss-adjusted and relative survival analysis: population life tables; relative survival analysis; active tracing of cancer patients; data quality indices; loss-adjusted survival estimation approaches
- Eliciting prognostic factors for survival – Multifactorial analysis: purpose and impact of hospital and population-based cancer survival on cancer control; Cox proportional hazard model; survival modelling by computer software
- Introduction to the SurvCan-3 study protocol and call for collaboration.
o Module 1b – Implementing Cancer Prevention and Early Detection
- Cancer Control Overview
- Cancer risk factors and prevention strategies/approaches
- Principles and implementation of screening programs
o Module 2 – Introduction to Cancer Epidemiology
- The practical application of epidemiological principles and methods to various cancer control activities;
- The search for causes of cancer;
- The implementation and evaluation of control programmes.
What professionals are targeted?
o Cancer registry staff, health workers, health-related professionals, and post-graduate students.
What countries are targeted?
o Professionals from all countries can apply. Priority is given to applicants from low- and medium-resource countries.
Will I have to pay and how much?
o There is a fee of 500 Euros for one module and 600 Euros for two modules. This fee is only charged to participants from high-income countries, other participants are exempt
o Your travel (cf. next question)
o Your living expenses in Lyon are estimated at around 660 Euros per week (cf. next question)
Is there financial support for accommodation/travel/living expenses?
o Financial support is available for some of the selected participants. Criteria for this financial support are the following:
- Participants from low-resource countries may be offered travel and living expenses;
- Participants from medium-resources countries may be offered living expenses only, and would have to find other financial support for their travel.
How do I apply?
o You should apply online here
. Your application must be submitted together with a letter of support
from your supervisor.